Best books for CFOs: Enter the Top Finance Books Sweepstakes.
Airbase launched a Top Finance Books Sweepstakes to give everyone a chance to win a library of 38 top books for CFOs and other finance pros, as recommended by Forbes. The books on the list represent a diverse range of subjects, from behavioral economics to conflict resolution. The winner can learn more about topics in the headlines, like Bitcoin, the history of Amazon and Netflix, issues in Chinese politics, and much more.
“Just be a voracious reader. I take the path that I'm going to learn at least one thing from any event I attend or any book I read.”
He singled out Patrick Lencioni's "The Five Dysfunctions of a Team" and "Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling Mainstream Products to Disruptive Customers," by Geoffrey A. Moore, as being two of his top picks.
What’s your favorite business or finance book? How has it impacted your life? If you’re feeling inspired, it’s time to dive into a book — after all, reading is good for your career. Not only is it a proven way to relieve stress, but reading improves empathy, broadens your vocabulary, improves decision-making faculties, and sparks creativity, to name just a few reasons to pick up a good book. It’s no wonder Warren Buffet famously recommended reading 500 pages a day as a recipe for success: "That’s how knowledge works. It builds up, like compound interest. All of you can do it, but I guarantee not many of you will do it."
In an informal poll, some recommended books named by the Off the Ledger community of independent finance professionals included:
- "The Financial Controller and CFO’s Toolkit: Lean Practices to Transform Your Finance Team," by David Parmenter
- "Controller’s Code: The Secret Formula to a Successful Career in Finance," by Michael Whitmire
- "Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy Seals Lead and Win," by Jocko Willink
- "Radical Candor: Be a Kick-Ass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity," by Kim Scott
In addition to the books on the Forbes list, some recommendations from Airbase team members include:
- Airbase Founder and CEO, Thejo Kote: "Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion," by Robert Cialdini
- Customer Success Manager and CPA, Jag Brar: "The Intelligent Investor," by Benjamin Graham
- Senior Software Engineer, Peeyush Aggarwal: "The Undercover Economist," by Tim Harford, and "The Rise and Fall of Nations: Forces of Change in the Post-Crisis World," by Ruchir Sharma
- Account Executive, Skip Kovar: "Thinking Fast and Slow," by Daniel Kahneman
- Director of Product (Bill Payments), Shreyas Subramaniam: "The Hard Thing About Hard Things: Building a Business When There are No Easy Answers" by Ben Horowitz
- Senior Marketing Programs Manager, McKenzie Wright: "Originals," by Adam Grant, and "The Tipping Point," by Malcolm Gladwell
- Senior Marketing Project Manager, Kendra Pecan: “Creativity, Inc.,” by Ed Catmull
- Vikas Gorur, Senior Director of Engineering: "The Smartest Guys in the Room," by Bethany McLean
- Kaushal Sanghavi, Director of Product (Corporate Cards and Employee Reimbursements): "The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement," by Eliyahu M. Goldratt
If you want to discover a new favorite book of your own, enter our Top Finance Books Sweepstakes. The winner receives all 38 books on the Forbes list, and two runners-up can choose three books from the list. The sweepstakes will run until August 31, 2021, and the winner will be notified in early September. No purchase is required — just complete the entry form here.
Looking for a place to talk about issues relevant to finance professionals? The Off the Ledger Slack group is a no-sales-allowed community with over 2,000 members. Apply to join!
Airbase offers a one platform solution to manage all non-payroll spend. It provides oversight and control over spending with real-time reporting and automatic syncing directly to your general ledger. Control all payments – physical cards, virtual cards, ACH, and checks – from one place. Close faster. Empower employees. Control spend.
Finance & Accounting Slack Group.
Join to connect with other finance professionals building great companies. Ask questions, provide your perspective, join the conversation, find resources.